#Book Spotlight & #Giveaway: New #MitfordSeries #Novel, Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good by #JanKaron!
16 August 2014
Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good
- Author: Jan Karon
- Release Date: September 2, 2014
- Genre: Fiction, Religion & Spirituality
- ISBN: 0399167447
In SOMEWHERE SAFE WITH SOMEBODY GOOD, Mitford’s engaging locals are back, from retired Episcopal priest Father Timothy Kavanagh and his intuitive wife Cynthia, to his loyal canine companion, Barnabas, and an eclectic mix of friends, neighbors and long-lost family. Now a few years into retirement, seventysomething Father Tim is feeling a bit unsettled, “trying to hammer out what retirement is for” while struggling with the realities of this new role. After a lifetime devoted to fixing things, he’s at loose ends and afraid he’s lost his passion.
But thanks to his earnest, forward-thinking wife and the town’s colorful residents, he discovers that there is still much to be done in Mitford, even if his job status has changed. His adopted son Dooley needs guidance as he and his fiancée learn to live with the scars of the past and forge a new life together. Dooley’s younger brother Sammy, still angry over his mother’s abandonment, is one stumble away from disaster. And the uncertainty of taking the offer of another pulpit sends Father Tim in another direction entirely. Happy Endings bookstore owner Hope Murphy urgently needs the priest’s helping hands in her shop as well as his deepest prayers for a healthy, happy ending to a dangerous pregnancy.
But above that, what each of them wants and needs is the very thing a wounded young Cynthia Kavanagh had yearned for years earlier: to be somewhere safe with somebody good. Her prayers were answered when a hard-working sixty-two-year bachelor priest proposed during a spectacular sunset. Mitford’s residents ask for nothing less as they navigate life’s twists and turns, offering powerful lessons for us all.
Part love story, part calming character study, SOMEWHERE SAFE WITH SOMEBODY GOOD is an enchanting reminder of the shared values that hold communities together—if we open our hearts and embrace them.
Praise for Jan Karon:
“Welcome home Mitford fans…to Karon’s gift for illuminating
the struggles that creep into everyday lives—along with a vividly imagined world.”
“Jan Karon reflects contemporary culture
more fully than almost any other living novelist.”
—Los Angeles Times
“The faster and more impersonal the world becomes,
the more we need…Mitford.”
—Cleveland Plain Dealer
Author Jan Karon
Jan Karon is the author of the bestselling series of nine Mitford novels featuring Father Timothy Kavanagh, an Episcopal priest, and the fictional village of Mitford. She is also the author of thirteen other books, including adult fiction, a cookbook and several books for children. She lives near Monticello, Virginia.
- Leave a comment answering this question: Have you read any books from the Mitford Series? Which is your favorite?
- You must provide a valid email address (ie; abookloversretreat(at)yahoo(dot)com) for contact purposes only.
- Giveaway ends at midnight on Saturday, August 23rd @ 11:59 pm. No purchase necessary.
- Winners will be chosen through a Rafflecopter form and contacted by e-mail on Sunday, August 24th. Winners must respond within 48 hours of notification or another winner will be chosen.
- The odds of winning are based solely on the number of entries received.
- Due to shipping costs this giveaway is open to US residents ONLY.
- All prizes are non-transferable.