25 July 2014
Tess in Boots by Courtney Rice Gager
Tess Dougherty plans every aspect of her life right down to the last detail. But she doesn’t plan on running her boyfriend off by bringing up the topic of marriage before he’s ready. And she doesn’t plan to lose her job on the day she’s set to receive a huge promotion. So when her perfect world unravels, Tess makes a new plan: disappear.
Tess packs her bags and leaves her city apartment for a remote vineyard in North Carolina. At first, she’s put off by the slow pace of small-town life in the South. She’s especially irritated by Thatcher, the vineyard’s smart-mouth, dimple-faced farmhand. But she soon begins to appreciate the area’s charm, and Thatcher’s charm, too. She even swaps her trademark heels for a pair of cowboy boots. As Tess spends more time getting to know Thatcher, she finds herself loosening her grip on her old life little by little. Unfortunately, things on the vineyard aren’t as simple as they seem. There’s a secret here, and when the truth comes to light, Tess is forced to reconsider every plan she’s ever made.
Release Date: December 2, 2014
Courtney Rice Gager graduated from Virginia Tech with a bachelor’s degree in communication and a minor in creative writing. Courtney is also the author of The Buggy List. She lives in New Jersey with her husband and daughter.
23 July 2014
Winter in the Soul
- Author: Jennifer Novotney
- Release Date: July 13, 2014
- Genre: Children's Fiction, Fantasy
In a world divided by power and greed, seventeen-year-old Lilika harbors an intense desire to return to Winter in the Soul, the place her family left to escape the darkness that was manifesting from a coldness of the soul.
When she meets Talon, their connection is evident right from the start, and together they travel through the Black Kingdom to recover Lilika’s stolen locket. And in search of an answer to the mystery behind Winter in the Soul.
Lilika holds the key to stopping the darkness from spreading. The fate of their world lies in her hands. Will she stop the Black Kingdom before its darkness overtakes them all, or will they succumb to the darkness that is spreading across the land?
10 Tips For Becoming A Better Writer
1. Read a variety books in different genres. I’m sure you’ve heard this advice before, but it’s the truth. Read! Read! Read! If you want to improve your writing skills, find a comfy chair and read as much as you can in as many different genres that you can. Just because you want to write romance, doesn’t mean you won’t learn something from a young adult fantasy. Even non-fiction has it’s benefits for fiction writers. The craft of writing really is an art, so read as much as you can.
2. Know your grammar. Good grammar is really the basis for successful writing. If you need brushing up, get a style handbook and study away. The time you spend will be well worth the effort. Believe me, no one will take a work seriously if it is riddled with grammar and spelling errors.
3. Get feedback. Be open to feedback on your writing. Make sure that you take criticism with a grain of salt, but know when to admit that certain areas of your manuscript or story need work. With that said, be selective with who you share your work. Make sure it is someone whose opinion you value. You don’t want feedback that might not improve your writing, so be sure that the feedback you receive is from someone who knows their stuff.
4. Writing is subjective. Remember that writing is subjective, especially the publishing world. What one agent or publisher may love, another may hate. Don’t give up or become negative about your writing just because it might not be someone’s cup of tea. It might just be the best thing someone else has ever read.
5. Keep writing. They say practice makes perfect and although you may never be a perfect writer, practice will certainly help you to become a better writer. Write as much as you can and don’t procrastinate. Some of the best writers say to write every day.
6. Attend classes, seminars, and workshops. Just like with any skill, you’ll want to hone your craft. Sign up for a writer’s conference. Listen to what other successful writers advise. Meet people and gain skills to improve your writing. Most importantly, never stop learning.
7. Get a mentor. Having someone in your court who’s been there before and seen it all is priceless. A mentor can steer you in the right direction and give you valuable advice. Contact writers you admire and see if they’d be willing to mentor you in your writing career. You’d be surprised about who might just be willing to help you.
8. Edit. Edit. Edit. There is a famous saying that good writing is really good editing. If you want to create a published work, you will definitely do your fair share of editing. You might as well dive right in and get started after your first draft is complete. Don’t be afraid to improve upon draft after draft of your work. This is what all good writers do.
9. Get a writing partner. Unlike a mentor, a writing partner is more like a peer. They are in the trenches with you, experiencing the same trials and tribulations. It can be comforting and quite supporting to have someone else on your side to cheer you on and keep you positive.
10. Stay Positive. Above all else, stay positive. A good, optimistic attitude will take you far in your writing career. Writing, especially the publishing side, is a game of rejection. Many great writers were rejected more times than not and they persevered to gain success. Keep a positive outlook and you will succeed too.
About the Author:
Jennifer Novotney was born in Burbank, California and lived in Los Angeles for most of her life until settling in North Eastern Pennsylvania with her husband and daughter. She attended California State University, earning a bachelors degree in journalism, and Northern Arizona University, earning a masters degree in English. After college, she spent several years writing and teaching, including at Pennsylvania State University.
#Review: #NewRelease from @HarlequinBooks - Out of Hiding by @Dylan_Rachel - A Love Inspired #Suspense #Novel!
22 July 2014
Out of Hiding
- Author: Rachel Dylan
- Release Date: August 1, 2014
- Genre: Christian Fiction, Romantic Suspense
TRUST NO ONE
This vow has kept P.I. Sadie Lane safe ever since she saw her parents murdered and then entered Witness Protection. But when she gets a lead on the long-ago killer she can't forget, Sadie joins forces with a dashing FBI agent leading his own investigation into the crime boss. Kip Moore makes her yearn to trust, but protocol demands Sadie keep her true identity hidden. Secrecy is all that has kept her alive. As they venture deep undercover into her target's syndicate, Sadie finds herself in over her head. Kip is her only hope as she comes face-to-face with a killer from her past. A deadly past that now threatens her future…and Kip's.
About the Author:
Rachel Dylan writes inspirational romantic suspense. She loves animals and is active in animal rescue. She enjoys adding adorable pets to her stories. She lives in Georgia with her husband and five furkids-two dogs and three cats.
Out of Hiding is such a great book! It's my first book by Rachel Dylan and I'm so glad for the opportunity to read it. The plot deals with human trafficking, an issue that's often swept under the rug in today's world. Sadie Lane is an assistant Private Investigator who is still dealing with events that happened in her childhood. Her current case is a kidnapping and she is on a mission to find a sixteen-year-old girl that disappeared when she crosses paths with Kip Moore, an F.B.I. Agent and former soldier. Both are fighting demons from their past but have the same goal. To bring down Igor Vladimir's network but for very different reasons. The excitement begins when they start working together and explodes into a plot so full of depth it will leave you breathless.
Rachel's characters are so believable. They are the tough-as-nails, nail-them-to-the-wall type characters that leave you wondering where they have been all your life. The storyline is so fast-paced and exciting it pulled me in from page one and kept me glued until the end. The romance that develops between Sadie and Kip is exciting and sweet. One of my favorite things about the book is the big oaf of a dog named Clancy. A giant of a dog with a sweet side, Clancy appeals to the animal lover in me. In my opinion, a story is always enhanced when you add a lovable pet. It is a great book with a lot of appealing angles and anyone that loves romantic suspense will love it! I'm very much looking forward to more books from Rachel Dylan. If you haven't added her to your "favorite authors" list, now is the time. Highly recommended!
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author for my honest review and no monetary compensation was received.
The Husband Maker
- Author: Karey White
- Release Date: June 16, 2014
- Genre: Women's Fiction, Clean Read
Charlotte’s a girl with nicknames. She may not love being called Charles or Chuck, but the hardest nickname to take is the one she was given in college, the one that’s followed her now for too many years. They call her “the husband maker” and sadly, it fits. Every guy she’s dated since high school has become his next girlfriend’s husband. Not hers. Not three girlfriends down the road. The next. Is she doing something wrong or is she just cursed? When Kyle Aldsworth enters the picture and sweeps her off her feet, Charlotte begins to hope that maybe she's not destined to be single forever. A senator’s son with political aspirations of his own, Kyle's wealthy, handsome, and in need of a wife. Will Charlotte be disappointed yet again, or will she finally be able to make a husband for herself?
Karey White grew up in Utah, Idaho, Oregon, and Missouri. She attended Ricks College and Brigham Young University. Her first novel, Gifted, was a Whitney Award Finalist. She loves to travel, read, bake treats, and spend time with family and friends. She and her husband are the parents of four great children. She teaches summer creative writing courses to young people and is currently working on her next book.
Coming Fall 2014 - Charlotte's Story continues in The Match Maker
$25 Blog Tour Giveaway
$25 Amazon Gift Card or Paypal Cash
Open only to those who can legally enter, receive and use an Amazon.com Gift Code or Paypal Cash. Winning Entry will be verified prior to prize being awarded. No purchase necessary. You must be 18 or older to enter or have your parent enter for you. The winner will be chosen by rafflecopter and announced here as well as emailed and will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook, Twitter, Rafflecopter or any other entity unless otherwise specified. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. Giveaway was organized by Kathy from I Am A Reader and sponsored by the publisher. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
One winner will receive: an autographed copy of all three books in the Lottie series: Pickin' Ground (The Lottie Series Book 1) In Due Season (The Lottie Series Book 2) Lottie (The Lottie Series Book 3)
- Author: Jeanetta Britt
- Publication Date: May 31, 2014
- Book Title: Lottie
- Genre: Christian Fiction
- Print Length: 235 pages
- Publisher: Twelve Stones Publishing LLC (May 31, 2014)
- ASIN: B00KP1IJSO
About The Book:Oh, no! Rose is back! If Lottie isn’t having enough trouble being a newlywed and taking on her duties as the first female African American Senator in her native state of Alabama, her sister Rose is trying to make the moves on her husband, Chaney. Rose has had a crush on Chaney since high school, and it looks like she’s not done yet. And in spite of her love for her community and her political pursuits, Lottie has to learn to open her heart and fight for her family. Family, however, is not always what it seems—family is the people who love us. Lottie, the third book in the Lottie Series, follows the murder mystery in Pickin' Ground, and the story of personal and community redemption in In Due Season. Lottie explores the fulfillment of marital love that overcomes selfish ambition, political corruption, and family pain. “There is no love like married love!”
About The Author